In consonance of the provisions of the Act, Dental Council of India is entrusted with the following objectives.
- Maintenance of uniform standards of Dental Education – both at Undergraduate and
Postgraduate levels. (a) It envisages inspections/visitations of Dental Colleges
for permission to start Dental colleges, increase of seats, starting of new P.G.
courses (as per provisions of section 10A of the Act).
- To prescribe the standard curricula for the training of dentists, dental hygienists,
dental mechanics and the conditions for such training;
- To prescribe the standards of examinations and other requirements to be satisfied
to secure for qualifications recognition under the Act;
To achieve these, the needs are:
- Uniformity of curriculum standards of technical and clinical requirements, standards
- Affiliation of every dental college to an University;
- Supervision over all the dental institutions to ensure that they maintain the prescribed
- Regulation of the profession of dentistry.